Short haul drivers are given special exemption allowing them to remain on-duty for 16 hours instead of 14 hours by FMCSA. Though the allowed driving hours a day remain 11 hours. The exemption is granted to decrease HOS violation as these drivers might speed or drive recklessly in order to reach their homes. The rule ensures that the drivers gets a chance to reach their home safely instead of spending their day/night hours in sleeper berth or hotel.
- Must return to work reporting location everyday
- Must use 16-hour exemption once every 7 consecutive days
- Must take 34 consecutive hours off to restart a 7/8 days cycle
- Must be released from duty within 16 hours of on –duty
- At least 10 consecutive off hours
Note: This exemption does not apply to drivers who qualifies for non – CDL short haul exemption.
For more details on non – CDL short haul exemption please refer to our previous blog on short haul.