On May 2018, new guidelines for using ‘Personal Conveyance’ or personal use have been released by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
ELD’S may be set up to allow drivers to put themselves in a special driving category called ‘personal use’.When driver selects this option, ELD will record the time as off duty unless the driver selects another state.
Regardless, the driver should be off duty and relieved from any work responsibilities to use this option. The commercial vehicle can be used under personal conveyance even if the truck is laden as it is not being used for commercial benefit at that time.
EXAMPLES OF APPROPRIATE USE OF COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE ON PERSONAL USE:
- If the driver has to go to a restaurant from truck stop.
- To record the time spent between going from terminal to driver’s residence, between trailer drop lots and driver’s residence and between work sites and driver’s residence.
The distance in this scenario, should allow the driver to get rest.
- If the driver has to go to a safe location to get rest while loading and unloading.
- For moving the vehicle at the request of a safety official ( authorized government official) during off duty time
- Time spent transporting personal property while off duty
- If the driver wants to travel home after working at an offsite location.
EXAMPLES OF INAPPROPRIATE USE OF COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE ON PERSONAL USE:
- The driver may not use this option if he wants to reach next loading or unloading point bypassing all the available resting locations.
- Operating with an empty trailer in order to pick up another load or repositioning the vehicle (tractor or trailer) at direction of the trucking company.
- Driver has to take vehicle to a facility where repair has to be performed.
- Time spent to go to terminal after loading or unloading from a shipper or receiver.
Here is a useful link for the above information: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/regulatory-guidance-concerning-use-commercial-motor
Disclaimer: The rules and regulations are subject to change any time. Readers must verify with the authority, FMCSA/MTO and must not rely on the contents of this blog